Thursday, March 17, 2011

Life In the Light - An afternoon in the garden




Today (March 16th) started out looking like an inside day, if you know what I mean. 
It was rainy, cold, dark, and one of those mornings that make you feel like you live in Seattle,
even though its North Carolina and its supposed to be warm and sunny by March.  Lo and behold, though
the sun made its appearance around noon, and we decided to get out and get our garden on.  So, with Banban strapped into his carrier and Noa loaded down with garden tools, we made some progress with our own little Eden.  Of course, we had to take a detour to the garden store to get some supplies, but it was a great afternoon and a fun time to spend with my little boys. 


Noa LOVES being in the garden.  Even when i'm not with him, he will spend a solid 30 minutes watering, weeding, and just playing around.  A few weeks ago he dumped a HUGE bucket of sunflower seeds into one of the beds.  I thought I had gotten them all out, but I noticed about 10 little sunflower seedlings peeping up today.  I started to pull them out and was immediately stopped by my 4 year old telling me that they were, "My little baby plants."  So, it looks like we will have sunflowers growing along with our tomatos this year.

Romaine lettuce.....and weeds.  

3 of my 6 beds.  The far one (with the trellis) has sugar snap peas and onions in it right now.  Soon, I will be planting some cukes in it too.  The middle bed is full of strawberries and a handful of potatoes.  The bed at the bottom of the picture is romain lettuce, spinach, and a handful of onions.  The onions (all 100 of them) are kinda spread all throughout the place because I just needed a place to stick em. 

Broccoli.

After a bit, I noticed that Noa was no longer helping me.  He had found his way to the puddle at the end of the driveway and went inside to get his little boat and toy turtle.  I love seeing his imagination grow and watching him create his own little worlds.  Four is such a sweet age.

 Banyan is the sweetest and easiest baby ever born.  Seriously.  He is just a little lover and as long as hes attached to me, I can go about my business.  We scored some tulips for 1.00 each, so I grabbed these terra cotta pots from the garage and started planting.  I cant wait to have colorful tulips to flank our front stairs.


 I put 25 strawberry plants in today, and Noa (my official waterer) made quick work of drowning them in mud.  It really takes a concerted effort for me to remind myself that this garden doesnt have to be perfect and that letting Noa be a part of it all, crooked rows and mud included, is priceless.  I hope that he will look back on these times some day and see value in life, growth, earth, and nature.

Tulips, 1.00 each!  I bought pink, purple, and yellow.  

 Poor Mr. Turtle got left in the puddle.  Noa REFUSES to take the tag off him.

 No trip to the garden store would be complete without a few goodies.  I snagged some Dahlias, Gladiolous, and Peonies for our flower bed.  The Elephant Ears, a staple of a good southern garden, are going on either
side of the side fence gate.  I love Elephant Ears because they remind me of Hawaii.

 Since it seems I never post pictures of myself, he is a snap, via Austin, of Banyan and I.

 I am thankful every day for a home that is warm, safe, happy, and affordable.  I know I am blessed, and I am grateful for a husband who works hard to provide a fun and happy life for his family.  God is good.

 Onions - about 50 of the 100 that are scattered throughout the GreenBean Garden.

Sugar snap peas

This is why I love little boys.  Look at those muddy toes and dirty jeans.  He is so in the moment and I adore that about him.  I truly do treasure each day I get to spend being his mom.


Today is done, today was fun.  Tomorrow is another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment